Most blood donors donate blood for social work, but some are professional blood donor, meaning they donate blood for money or an allowance. Again the blood donor can get blood for his future needs.
How long a blood donor can donate blood depends on what he is donating and the laws of the country in which the blood donation is being performed. However, every four months, after 120 days, every human body produces new blood .
But the things to keep in mind of a blood donor before donating blood are :
1. Before donating blood, read the rules of the Red Cross Society, find out if you are at all fit to donate blood. The donor should know on his own initiative what kind of diseases a person cannot donate blood with.
2. Usually the staff of the concerned department comes to take blood from the government blood bank. But it is still good to know before giving blood. If you hear people coming from a landslide private blood bank, it is better to avoid it.
3. Even if you donate blood in a very trusted and familiar place, make sure that the new syringe is being used before handing out the syringe. And after your blood is taken, make sure that the syringe is being discarded.
4. Never go for blood on an empty stomach. You should drink water well before giving blood and avoid tea-coffee as much as possible.
5. In most blood donation camps, they provide some food after donating blood. Salty foods are usually eaten after blood transfusions. You can eat fruit juices, cookies .